This time of year is all about scrumptious dinners followed by winter warming treats! One of our favorites on resort is the Apple Pie in Turners, so we thought we would show you how to make your own at home! Follow this great recipe and send us pictures of your home-made Apple Pies using the hashtag #ButlinsApplePie
500g Plain Flour
150g Caster Sugar
200g Softened Unsalted Butter
12g Baking Powder
60ml Double Cream
- Cream together the caster sugar and softened butter.
- Sift together the plain flour and baking powder and add to the butter/sugar.
- Whisk the eggs and add them to the rest of the mix.
- Finally add the double cream and blend all ingredients together until the pastry is an even colour.
- Leave to rest for at least 2 hours in a refrigerator.
Apple Pie Filling
6 Large cooking apples
150g Caster Sugar (approx)
15g Cinnamon (approx)
- Peel the apples, cut into quarters and remove the cores.
- Cut the quartered apples into 4, place in a pan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Add sugar and cinnamon to taste and simmer until the apple pieces are soft, with a little “bite”
- Remove from the heat and drain off the excess liquid.
- Place in a refrigerator and allow to cool.
Making your Pies:
- Lightly flour the worktop and roll the pastry to approximately 4mm thick.
- Using the pie ring as a cutter, cut out 2 circles for each pie. (one base and one top)
- Using the pallet knife as a guide. Cut out a strip of pastry for each pie. (to be used as the pie wall)
- Place the pie rings on a clean baking sheet and place a circle of pastry in the bottom of each.
- Prick each pie base with a fork to allow air to pass through during baking.
- Carefully place the strips of pastry into the rings and gently press them together at the seem to seal them.
- Using a spoon, carefully place the filling into the pies until about 90% full.
- Place on the lids and press around the outer edge to seal the lids to the walls of the pie.
- Brush with milk and lightly sprinkle with sugar.
- Place into a pre-heated oven at 175 degrees for 15 minutes (until golden brown and crisp on the bottom)
- Once cooked, place on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before removing the pie rings.
To finish, serve hot on a plate with an apple coulis garnish and your choice of cool double cream, custard or a rich vanilla ice cream with an icing sugar dusting.
Bon appetite! Rachel