Stuck for gift ideas this Christmas? Why not dazzle your friends, family, teachers, or even your favourite Redcoats with these yummy Yuletide foodie treats from top children’s chef Annabel Karmel. Easy-to-prepare, these tasty treats make for the perfect pressie (even if you’re not heading to say hi to our big hearted team).
Here’s the perfect excuse for your family to get messy in the kitchen. Don’t forget to dig around for glass jars and bottles, ribbon, card and coloured paper to decorate your Christmas creations. Children from the age of three years love to measure with spoons, mix, stir, roll dough and cut out shapes with cookie cutters, albeit with a helping hand. They also love playing with different textures of food so give them bowls of various ingredients and let them explore… while you do the actual work! Season’s eatings!
Christmas Pudding Truffles
- 75g unsalted butter
- 100g plain chocolate
- 75g raisins or dried cranberries cut in half
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 X 300g ready-made ginger cake
For the decoration
- 150g (6oz) ready to roll icing
- Green and red food colouring
- Soak the raisins or cranberries in orange juice for about half an hour. Melt the butter and chocolate either over a pan of simmering water or in a microwave. Stir in the raisins or cranberries and then crumble in the cake. Mix well and leave to cool slightly.
- Place in the fridge for about 1 hour to firm up and then roll into 10 walnut sized balls.
- Colour 50g of the icing green roll out on a clean work surface dusted with a little icing sugar and cut into holly leaves using cutters.
- Colour 10g of the icing red and roll into berries.
- Roll out the remaining white icing and cut out 10 wiggly circles for the brandy butter and place these on top of each of the mini Christmas puddings.
- Decorate with the holly leaves and red berries (dampen the icing underneath to stick onto the cake).
Makes 12 truffle puddings
For lots more Christmas recipe ideas check out Annabel’s cooking apps via the App Store or visit www.annabelkarmel.com
- Give the gift of family time this Christmas – T&C’s - December 6, 2018
- Just For Tots – Very Important Tot - November 9, 2018
- The Judds go to Butlin’s on a Just For Tots break - September 20, 2018