Looking to jazz up your Christmas cooking this year? Get the whole family involved in making these Snazzy Snowmen from Annabel Karmel. A quick and simple Christmas gift for friends and family or a nice addition to a cup of tea on a chilly day.
- 100g softened butter or soft margarine
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 150g ready to roll white icing
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
For the decoration
- Red Fizzy Lances for the scarves
- Tubes of coloured Writing Icing (available in supermarkets)
- Sugar baubles (for cake decoration) or silver baubles
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/. Fan oven 160C / 300 F. Place the softened butter or margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and vanilla essence into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for a few minutes until the mixture is light in colour and fluffy.
- Line a bun tin with 8 paper cases and divide the mixture between them, filling the cases about two thirds full. Bake for about 20 minutes until the fairy cakes are risen and lightly golden. Lift the cakes (still in their paper cases) out of the tins and leave them to cool on a wire rack.
- Dust a clean working surface with icing sugar and roll out the icing to about 5mm/1/4”. Cut out 8 circles using a small pastry cutter that is the same size as the top of your cakes. Put the apricot jam into a small dish and stir in 1 tablespoon of hot water, then brush this over the surface of the cakes and stick the circles of icing on top.
- To decorate the cakes use marshmallows for the snowmen’s heads, black writing icing for the eyes, red writing icing for the smiles and sugar baubles for noses (stick them on with a blob of Writing Icing). Stick the heads on the cakes using a little apricot jam, then stick on the sugar bauble buttons. Wrap Fizzy Lances (from Sainsbury’s) around the snowmen’s necks for scarves.
Makes 8 To 10 Snazzy Snowmen
For lots more Christmas recipe ideas check out Annabel’s cooking apps via the App Store or visit www.annabelkarmel.com
- Give the gift of family time this Christmas – T&C’s - December 6, 2018
- Just For Tots – Very Important Tot - November 9, 2018
- The Judds go to Butlin’s on a Just For Tots break - September 20, 2018