There’s no better time than January to shake-up what your family are eating and give them an energy boost. It’s all too easy to get stuck in a rut with mealtimes and chips and chicken nuggets can be an easy way out when time isn’t on our side.
Did you know that sometimes the more colourful a food, the better it is for you? So stock up on lots of peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, salmon and sweetcorn to dish-up a rainbow plate of food your family will love. Fish, eggs and avocados are also great foods rich in nutrients that will boost your day.
So no matter what’s in store for your busy day at Butlin’s – whether that’s sliding down the flumes at Splash Waterworld, exploring the outdoor playgrounds or hitting the bulls-eye target in archery – it’s important to fuel up on superfoods to keep you going throughout the day. So take a look at these colourful, tasty, and healthy treats that are fun for all the family:
- 1 medium potato, unpeeled (approx. 150g)
- 70g salmon fillet
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- A knob of butter
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tsp sweet chilli sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- ½ tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp seasoned flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil for frying
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (from one year)
- Conversion chart
- Boil the potato in lightly salted water for 25 to 30 minutes until tender when pierced with a table knife.
- Drain and when cool enough to handle, peel and mash.
- Cook the salmon in the microwave for a couple of minutes with the squeeze of lemon juice and knob of butter. Flake onto a plate and leave to cool slightly.
- Mix the potato with the spring onions, chilli sauce, ketchup, mayonnaise and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold in the flaked salmon, being careful not to break the fish up too much.
- Take tablespoonful’s of the mixture and form into small cakes. Dust in seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and fry the fishcakes for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden.
- You can shallow fry the footballs in 2 tbsp of oil but they won’t keep their round shape so well.
Makes 5 portions
Looking for some more tasty recipes from Annabel Karmel? Why not try this yummy Hidden Veg Smoothie, Chicken, Broccoli, Pea and Tomato Pasta, or a breakfast treat with this Scrambled Egg with Tomato and Salsa.
- Give the gift of family time this Christmas – T&C’s - December 6, 2018
- Just For Tots – Very Important Tot - November 9, 2018
- The Judds go to Butlin’s on a Just For Tots break - September 20, 2018